From Pennsylvania, USA:

I'm 36, pregnant with my second child, and just diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I mentioned to my doctor that I'm having trouble with the diet -- so much protein, so little variety! She said I should get used to it, since I'll likely be on it for the rest of my life. I was shocked. I have always followed a very healthy Mediterranean-style diet -- lots of grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, not much meat. I'm slim and in great shape, low blood pressure, very low cholesterol. But she says I'm very likely to develop diabetes later in life because of this bout with gestational diabetes. (Even though, as far as I can tell, my numbers were very borderline.)

I guess my question is what really is my increased risk of developing diabetes now? I hear my risk is somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-40%, but what would it be for someone just like me who never had gestational diabetes? Also, what do vegetarians with gestational diabetes do? What kind of diet do dietitians in countries that are less carnivorous than the US prescribe?

Because you have developed gestational diabetes, you are at increased risk of developing diabetes later in life. However, that is not absolute and that 25-40% risk is overall and may vary amongst women depending on their history and other risk factors. With proper diet and weight control you can minimize your future risk. Discuss with the dietitian your interest in a vegetarian diet and how to adjust it to meet the needs of gestational diabetes.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes