Question:

From Aberdeen, South Dakota, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for four years. My sugars have been like a roller coaster lately. I have had a cold now for a week and I have not been able to shake it. When I first got the cold my blood sugars were good. Now one week later and feeling better my blood sugars have been in the 280 range all day. I watch what I eat very closely. I don't understand that if I am getting better than my sugars should be going down. I have gone to my doctor and he said that I should just let the cold ride out itself. He also said that my thyroid was large. The tests have not come back yet but can this be the reason for my high blood sugars? My mother has been taking thyroid medication since she was my age. Do I as a diabetic have a greater chance of having thyroid problems?

Answer:

The duration of your diabetes (4 years) should exclude (although not completely given your adult age), the chance you still were in the honeymoon phase that expired after the cold as it often happen due to viral stress. This could explain why clinical recovery from cold didn't parallel better blood sugar values.

Regarding your thyroid, type 1 diabetes has been recently associated with a growing list of other autoimmune disorders in a variety of patterns come to be known as the Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndromes. Hypo- and hyperthyroidism are the most common of these disorders among type 1 diabetics and you'd better ask your doctor to be checked for thyroid autoantibodies even though I don't think this is likely to explain your high blood sugar.

Posted to Aches and Pains and Thyroid