From Wisconsin, USA:

I'm 15 years old have had diabetes for almost 6 years now and would really like to get in much better control. My last A1C was 8.9 which was lower than before. What's the best way to start taking control and to keep that way?

Congratulations on your desire to better control your diabetes. That alone is the most important first step.

When was the last time you saw your diabetes education team? I think the first step is to see them, go over your current management, diet, etc., and see where you are. I bet a lot has changed since you first learned about diabetes! You will probably have to test more. Your meter is your friend. It tells you where your glucose is. How many shots a day do you give? Have you considered insulin pens?

As I said, see your team first and develop a plan. With a little work your A1c will fall even more, and you will feel better.