Question:

From the state of Washington, USA:

At the age of 8, I was diagnosed with childhood-onset diabetes. Currently, I am 23 years old. I regularly adjust my Regular insulin when my blood sugar checks too high. On some days I give large amounts of R and still result with high blood sugars, these days I eat easily under a 1000 calories; what can I do to better my control?

Answer:

What you are asking is the Holy Grail of diabetes management. There will be days when you run high with no obvious explanation but you should consider your activity, do you have a viral infection and have you changed your injection sites?

There is no easy way to improve your control except by careful monitoring and learning from experience. If you only have occasional "high" days and your HbA1c is okay then you are doing well. Discuss your results and insulin regimen with your diabetes team.

Posted to Daily Care and Hyperglycemia and DKA