From Texas, USA:

My daughter, age 5 years, is being referred to an endocrinologist because of high triglyceride levels and continuing gaining weight even when put on a strict diet and exercise. Her levels has been has high as 488. Is something to be concerned about? Diabetes runs in my family.

There are a number of different disorders of lipids. Cholesterol and its components, high and low density cholesterol, as well as triglycerides, are important in the development of coronary heart disease. If her triglycerides are as high as you stated, she deserves the consultation. I will not comment further since there is a lot of clinical and laboratory information you did not provide. I will say, if her levels are high, you as parents, need to have your levels checked.

Type 2 diabetes frequently occurs in overweight people who also have hypertension and abnormalities of lipids. The endocrinologist will work with you and your daughter.