Question:

From Princeton, New Jersey, USA:

I am 29 years old and 29 weeks pregnant and have been diagnosed with borderline gestational diabetes (my 3 hour GTT test results were: 87, 190, 166, 109). I have been monitoring my glucose four times a day for the past week and all of my values for 2 hours after meals are well below 120 (they range from 90-112), but my fasting glucose is always 90 or above (I was told I must keep it below 90). In fact, one morning my fasting glucose was 98 while the 2 hour reading after dinner was only 90 and I hadn't ingested anything in between the two. How can this happen? Is there a way for me to bring down the fasting glucose level by perhaps eating during the night? My pre-pregnancy weight was normal as is my pregnancy weight gain and the dietitian said my eating habits were quite good. Any guidance you could give me would be much appreciated.

Answer:

Based on the results of the three hour glucose tolerance test, you do not meet criteria for gestational diabetes. The value at 2 hours was only 1 mg/dl over the threshold.

Usually fasting blood sugars should be less than 90 mg/dl. However, the accepted upper limit of normal is 105 mg/dl, and by your report, your fasting blood sugar values do not exceed this. Your blood sugar values will vary slightly over time without eating which is why you had the 98 followed by the 90.

If you follow your diet appropriately, I doubt that you will have any further problems with glucose control.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes