Question:

From Michigan, USA:

My 14 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed about 5 years ago. She recently has gained control over her diabetes, and her HCA1 was almost normal. The way she did this was by using the "poor man's pump" (a combination of Ultralente and Lispro). As a result she is taking 5 or 6 shots a day, including 1 shot at school during lunch. My daughter, as you can tell from the brief introduction, is a very responsible 14 year old and would be good candidate for the pump.

I am afraid that all the shots will lose their appeal and she will revert to high blood sugars in lieu of taking care of herself.

Are there any ways to help pay for the pump? I am fighting with the insurance companies and not getting very far. I was hoping that somewhere in the USA there is possibly a trial going on that she could be hooked into and possibly help pay that way.

Answer:

Is your doctor involved in your battle with the insurance company? He or she might be able to help by deeming the pump a medical necessity. Contact MiniMed and Disetronic to see what type of payment plans, etc. they have. In the meantime, support and encourage your child as much as possible for those days/times when the shots do get old.

JW

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Social Issues: Insurance/Costs