Question:

From Minnesota, USA:

My mom is suffering from diabetes and blood pressure for the last 10 years in India. She takes insulin daily and she is under control. Would you be able to recommend an equipment which will help her to determine her sugar level and blood pressure at home rather then going to the hospital? I am looking forward for a reply urgently since I am planning to visit India in a month or so.

Answer:

For information about meters available in the USA, see Blood Glucose Meters at this website. I'd suggest you hold off on buying a meter until you're in India, for two reasons. First, it's difficult to guess what features of a blood sugar meter might make it most useful for your mother, and second, the availability of strips may be greatly different there. If you really want to buy a meter for your mom here in the US, you could call the customer service departments of the meters sold here in the US (the 800 numbers are at this website), and see if they can tell you if their strips are readily available in India. (Strips can sometimes be purchased by mail order from US firms, and shipped overseas, but I think I'd advise purchasing locally rather than to trust shipping them repeatedly).

About blood pressure cuffs: they don't need supplies, so ask at your local pharmacy (or talk to a nurse at your own doctor's office), buy one that seems rugged, and learn to use it yourself, then take it to your mom.

WWQ