Question:

From Richmond, Virginia, USA:

My daughter, age 14, was diagnosed a year ago with type 1 diabetes. She takes Humalog and Lente twice a day. We were told when she was diagnosed that stress would cause her blood glucose levels to increase. Instead stress seems to lower them. This has been evident when she has a test or even when she had surgery to remove wisdom teeth. Do we have enough experience now to plan her insulin accordingly? Or should we still treat this as an anomaly?

Answer:

My feeling is that she's probably still in her honeymoon phase and that explains why dental surgery or tests (both of which are situations where she would be less likely to be eating, and thus have less calories available to raise the sugar level) can decrease her blood sugar.

I think you always should treat blood sugars with insulin dosing according to the blood sugar levels, whilst in these cases where the blood sugar paradoxically goes down, I'd suggest to also check the urine for ketones.

Additional Comments from Lois Finney, diabetes dietitian:

We have found many folks with type 1 diabetes do have a seemingly lowering effect of their blood glucose levels with stress. We have not looked at whether the stress may cause a decrease in eating or more nervous energy, but yes, we have seen that in a good portion of our folks.

LSF

Additional comment added 30 Sep 1998
Posted to Stress and Honeymoon