From California, USA:

My son, age 12, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year and 6 months ago. My interest is in a device that automates his blood sugar levels (noninvasive sensor) for a "glucometer" married to an insulin pump. Has there even been such an attempt to make this product available?

At least one company has developed a prototype unit in which sensor and pump are combined (but not linked). But the 'marriage' of the two is reputedly five to ten years away; for one thing the sensor is still not that reliable. I think we can say that progress is indeed being made, but that the sensor controlled pump is still a good many years away.

Posted to Research: Monitoring