Question:

From Texas, USA:

My 17 year old son, who has had diabetes since he was 7 months old, wants a tattoo. I heard somewhere that the dyes travel through the kidneys. Is there any danger of damage to the kidneys of a diabetic person from a tattoo?

Answer:

The dye from a tattoo would stay under the skin. The major risk factor would be if the tattoo were not done in a clean place in an aseptic manner. This could put your son at risk for a skin infection. These are factors that need to be addressed, along with monitoring afterwards to look for high sugars, which could be the first signs of an infection.

JW