Question:

From Illinois, USA:

My 10 year old son has just found out a month ago that he has type 1. My sister-in-law's little girl is 4. She found out when she was 18 months. My sister says my son is still in the honeymoon period because we have him pretty much controlled. Once in a while he will have a reading of 200 or a little over. Please explain to me the honeymoon period. I am also wondering what the difference between a pediatric endocrinologist and a doctor who is a Diabetic Specialist. She makes hints to me that my doctor is not good, but our numbers aren't too bad. He takes 2 shots a day now (mixture of R & N in A.M. and R at supper). Please help me out.

Answer:

The honeymoon is the period of time after diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes in which any remaining insulin producing cells do so. This period of time usually means that the child is on a small dose of insulin and that blood sugars are pretty manageable, without a lot of erratic swings that some people have. There is no way to tell how long a honeymoon period will last.

An endocrinologist is a physician who specializes in the treatment of disorders of the endocrine system. The endocrine system makes hormones, and insulin is a hormone. A diabetologist is a doctor (who may also be an endocrinologist) who specializes in treating people with diabetes.

If you and your child are comfortable with the treatment you are getting, and you feel your questions are being answered, there's no need to change care providers.

JW

Posted to Honeymoon and Daily Care