Question:

From California, USA:

I am 25 year old female who just got out of the intensive care for chronic low potassium (2.1) and magnesium (1.5) and random blood glucose of 150 (I had not eaten for a day). My endocrinologist said that the high blood glucose level was caused by the low potassium and he suggested that I start a modified low carbohydrates and or sugar diet. The other symptoms that I had were double vision, excessive urination, mental confusion, and trembling and thirst. I've been on potassium supplements for the last six months and have not had any problems, i.e., excessive thirst, etc. I'm wondering if there is a correlation between potassium and glucose level in the blood and if so am I heading down the road to diabetes?

Answer:

Yes, there could be a transient relationship between low potassium and high blood sugar but this doesn't drive you towards diabetes. The low carbohydrate diet the endocrinologist suggested to you was based to reduce the effect of insulin and blood sugar on further decreasing potassium levels in the blood.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA