From Tompkinsville, Kentucky, USA:

My brother is a 47 year old who is down to 80 pounds due to ketones and is nothing but bones. He is suffering from depression and is now spitting up blood has no energy and was diagnosed last year. He has given up and we can't get the ketones in control. Please give me some info before it is too late.

You don't mention if your brother has diabetes or not.

Many people with severe malnutrition from any cause will have ketones.

He must be seen by a physician, and get an evaluation of his problem. If he has diabetes, he needs insulin. If not, he needs to have testing done to find a cause for his severe weight loss.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA