From America On-Line:

My father has type 2 diabetes and Hepatitis C. He is currently taking Glucophage (metformin), and has tried Glucotrol (glipizide, a sulfonylurea). I recently read that both of these can be harmful to the liver of people that have liver disease. Are there any prescription drugs for type 2 diabetes that aren't harmful to the liver?

Fortunately, it is rare that either of these two drugs harm the liver. (On the other hand, a different medication, troglitazone, can cause reversible damage in about 2% of people taking it, and is not advised for people with any liver disease.)

All diabetes drugs have side effects, which is why they are prescription medications in the first place! Your dad should discuss their possible side effects with his physician. If his doctor isn't sure, the doctor can contact the manufacturer or his friendly local endocrinologist for additional advice on which to choose.

I can recall a case or two where my patient with liver disease, and I decided to use insulin (which doesn't adversely affect the liver) instead of pills, because the patient had liver disease and the pills weren't appropriate.

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes