From California, USA:

I have a diabetic daughter who is thirteen; this is her second year with this disease. She is a type 1, who requires her insulin shots once a day. A major concern that I have is that she is very hyper! How will her mood swings at this age affect her condition? Sometimes I feel guilty about her disease, as her father I feel that I should being doing more. I would appreciate to hear your response.

I'm not sure where to start with this answer. Is your daughter 'hyper' because she's fed up with diabetes? Is she just a normal teenager with mood swings? Both behaviours are normal. Of course, this knowledge may not help you very much, especially if you are feeling guilty about her having diabetes and not feeling able to do much to help her. In fact you can do a lot by being there when she needs you. You didn't cause her diabetes and you couldn't have done anything to stop it happening. She may be rebelling a bit against her diabetes but most teenagers who do this are well aware of the limits and will be grateful to know that there's help available.

The main thing to watch is that she takes her insulin regularly and doesn't miss injections. This is a common problem in teenagers and can rapidly lead to ketoacidosis and hospitalisation if they catch the 'flu' or another bug. Why don't you ask your diabetes team if they run any teenager's groups where your daughter could feel a bit less alone with her problem? Sometimes a summer camp helps.

Posted to Puberty