From WebTV:

I just had one question for you. My mother says that diabetics cannot drink alcoholic beverages. Now I was just wanting to know if this was true or false. I don't mean to go out and get drunk but on special occasions?

I generally advise my young type 1 diabetic patients that on very special occasions they can have some light alcoholic drinks (aperitifs or wine/beer) and this is much safer if the alcohol is consumed with foods. This because alcohol can decrease blood sugar. Alcohol also contains calories which must be counted in a diabetes meal plan.