Question:

From Tel-Aviv, Israel:

I am looking for diabetic jams recipes; where can I get information?

Answer:

I do not know of any recipes for jam using sugar substitutes. I know that they are commercially available, however the substitute ingredients also count as carbohydrate. A call or e-mail to the American Diabetes Association might be your best bet.

JM

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Although there are some excellent sugar free jams and jellies on the market, I do think there are recipes for making sugar free jams, although they still have plenty of carbohydrates in them due to the fruit.

I also think you can buy the sugar free or low sugar pectin and use that to make some excellent jams - there are directions on the package.

I finally found, in the book Exchanges for All Occasions, a chapter on making jams that are sugarfree. It is chapter 29. Enjoy.

LSF