Question:

From New Orleans, Louisiana, USA:

My seven year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 8 months ago. Her highest blood sugar of the day is usually just before her dinner shot (200-300). She usually gets a shot of 1R and 4NPH and then 30 minutes later eats dinner. Approximately 2 to 3 hours after dinner she usually has a bad stomachache. This is followed by her lowest sugars of the day (50-90). We have sent her to the GI doctor and he said it is not a GI problem. It appears to be a diabetes related problem. Have you ever heard of this before, and what are parents doing to ease the stomach pain symptoms?

Answer:

I wonder if you couldn't try to get the supper sugar down. Choices to consider with your daughter's diabetes team include:

• More NPH in the morning, with the risk of hypo at lunch or early afternoon;
  • Change to Humalog as quick insulin so you can use more NPH in morning;
  • Adding a shot at lunch; or
  • Ultralente in the morning mixed with the NPH (the group at Yale has extensive experience with this). I have used it some and it works.

Additional comments from Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse specialist:

The drop in blood sugar could possibly cause a stomach ache at the time you mentioned. Talk to your doctor about lowering the Regular at dinner, as this is the insulin working at that time. As Dr. Deeb suggests, also work towards lowering the dinner blood sugar.

LM

Posted to Aches and Pains and Daily Care