Question:

From Canada:

I have a friend with Type 1 diabetes. I am searching for any stories, history, etc. of individuals who have healed completely from diabetes. Are there any cases of this? Have there been any 'miraculous' healing cases? If you know of any I would appreciate knowing about them.

Answer:

Stories of 'miraculous healing cases' in Type 1 Diabetes appear from time to time. I believe that these arise as the result of a failure to differentiate between Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes, confirmed by a positive antibody test, and Type 1B diabetes. The latter is usually insulin dependent at onset, yet the antibody test is negative; but within a few months it is often possible to manage the glucose intolerance with oral hypoglycemics or even with just diet and exercise. Type 1B Diabetes is much more common in African Americans and Hispanic Americans than in those of Caucasian descent. Some of these cases have chromosomal abnormalities but at this time very little is known about the molecular basis for this kind of diabetes.

DO'B

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations