Question:

From Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada:

I'm age 60, type 2, male. Dr. Whitaker [Julian M. Whitaker, author of the book Reversing Diabetes] says that vanadyl sulfate will permanently reduce blood sugar levels and will even reverse diabetes. I would appreciate your comments.

hhancock@inet2000.com

Answer:

There have been several studies in man showing that small doses of inorganic vanadium salts, like vanadyl sulfate, may cause a very modest improvement in glucose tolerance in type 2 diabetic patients. The compound appears to enhance the insulin receptor and in this sense is like the oral drug troglitazone. At the same time there is no evidence that it can reverse either types of diabetes, rather, there is some evidence that in higher doses vanadium may be toxic in a number of ways as well as to be carcinogenic.

My personal view is that vanadium has no role at present in the management of diabetes. Its possible future use should await further research on long-term effects.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations