Question:

From Toms River, New Jersey, USA:

I have a 17 year old brother-in-law with diabetes. He is insulin dependant. I am not sure which type of diabetes he has. He is not taking very good care of his condition.

What foods can he have? He will not answer my questions in reference to the foods he can or cannot have. I am very concerned because he is now living with me and I am responsible for him and do not want to see anything bad happen to him. Please help me.

Answer:

The types of foods your brother-in-law can have are not really limited. Most places are now using a meal planning system called carbohydrate counting, where foods containing carbohydrate (fruits, starches and grains, milk and sweets) are counted and consistent amounts for each meal and snack are recommended for each meal and snack based on the eating pattern and insulin treatment people are following. If there is a diabetes team in your area with a dietitian and nurse educators, I would urge you to encourage him to seek their help. He may be avoiding going to seek help because he is afraid of the restrictions diabetes used to place on people. A good team can help make diabetes live with people, not make people live with diabetes -- there is a difference.

Whatever you do, don't give up on him. You may want to approach him with the idea that you are concerned about him and want to give him support, not criticize how he is choosing to manage his diabetes.

JM