From Louisville,Kentucky, USA:

I have a son who is 16 months old; his grandmother has Type 2 diabetes. My son is constantly thirsty and he's often fussy. My mother thinks he might have diabetes. Could it be passed down? Should I have him tested?

Your son is not more likely to have diabetes on account of his grandmother's Type 2 diabetes. Many toddlers constantly ask for juice as a habit. However, if you are worried, it is very easy to have your doctor test his urine for sugar.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

Although the diagnosis of diabetes is dependent on elevated blood sugar levels, Dr. Robertson's suggestion to check your toddler for urine sugar first is reasonable, as it's inevitable that any child with excess thirst due to undiagnosed uncontrolled diabetes would have sugar in the urine. So, if there's no urine sugar, it'd be extremely unlikely that the child would have diabetes.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Genetics and Heredity