Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

I am 29 years old and have been Type 1 for 23 years. I have been taking control of my life lately and today the doctor prescribed a new medication. It is Prandin (normally for Type 2). She said it is a new treatment for Type 1's and should help maintain control. Is it?

Answer:

No.

Prandin (repaglinide) stimulates insulin secretion from the beta cells of the pancreas by binding to sites on the beta cell. Hence, it requires functioning beta cells, which are unlikely to exist in people who have had Type 1 diabetes for many years, as in your case. See Repaglinide for more information on Prandin.

WWQ

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes