Question:

From Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA:

My 6-year-old daughter has Type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed about 15 months ago. No matter what we do she seems to run high in the morning. If have heard mention of Dawns Syndrome. Can you please explain this to me?

Answer:

The dawn phenomenon is the term used to describe the release of hormones early in the morning. Hormones like growth hormone and cortisol are released at this time and although these hormones have other effects on the body, they also raise blood sugar levels. Some people are able to help high morning numbers by injecting NPH before bedtime, so that it peaks around the time these hormones are being released. You must check with your diabetes team or doctor before making a change like this.

JW

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA