From Wisconsin, USA:

I'm 13 years old and I'm looking for a pump. I go to a pediatric endocrinology program and they're not ready for the pump yet. I was wondering if you could tell me were I could go for a pump, or tell me a hospital that has the pump near where I live.

First of all, congratulations on making up your mind to use a pump! I assume your mom and dad are in agreement with your decision.

As you probably already have found out, using an insulin pump can be a lot of work, and does require that you have close contact with a diabetes team that's familiar with using pumps, especially when getting started using it.

If you're interested, and you've told your doctors and they have indicated they're not, there are several ways to find out who is "doing pumps" nearby. Here's some suggestions you might try:

• You can call MiniMed and Disetronic, the two companies that make the pumps, and ask their local sales representatives.
  • You can go to the Pumpers Conference at the Children with Diabetes Message Board and Pump Users Chat Room and ask around.
  • And you can call other hospitals, and talk to their Diabetes Educators, and see if they are aware of doctors who do pumps.

P.S.: I'll bet that as more people learn about Miss America and her decision to use a pump to control her diabetes, that lots more doctors will get lots more requests from teenagers who want to try a pump!

Posted to Insulin Pumps