Question:

From New Brunswick, Canada:

I'm 15 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for six years. Recently I have found that I feel as though I'm not as good as people without diabetes. I'm very athletic and I want to play women's hockey in the Olympics but if I feel like I'm not as good just because I have diabetes, I'll never make it. Is there any reason why I just started feeling this way?

Answer:

Your emotions can be tricky to manage when you're 15, with or without diabetes! Sometimes you may feel on top of things and then, without warning, your spirits can plunge. It can be a normal part of the life of an adolescent.

Let me assure you that you are just as worthy as anyone else of "going for your dreams". Please do not allow diabetes to cause you to judge yourself as "less than" anyone! Just check out all the famous people who have not allowed diabetes to get in their way.

If you dream of the Olympics...then, go out and work to make that dream a reality. The only one who can stop you ...is you.

CMB

Additional comments from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

If you check out the Miss America website, you'll find not one, but two, young women with diabetes who made their dreams come true: Miss America and Miss New York.

SS

Additional comments from Lois Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Please keep in mind you are a person with diabetes, not a "diabetic." The world is yours, so please climb the mountains, play the hockey, just take the diabetes with you. I think a support groups for teens/young adults is what may prove helpful -- please ask your diabetes team for how to get in touch with them.

LSF

Additional comment added 12 Oct 1998