From Sioux City, Iowa, USA:

I know you have been asked about "Niacinamide" previously. Recently our JDF office received a call about research showing thing to be close to a cure. The web page says:

"Niacinamide has been found to prevent and in some cases to reverse type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes.

Adults, newly diagnosed with insulin dependent diabetes, were given niacinamide at 25 mg per 2 pounds of body weight. In some patients the niacinamide restored the insulin producing cells of the pancreas and in other cases, slowed down their destruction. In other patients, it completely eliminated the disease all together!"

What is the "real" latest information about nicotinamide?

I rather think from the way you word it that the research to which your local JDF office was referring was reported by an Italian group in 1994 in Diabetic Medicine, Vol 11, page 98. I have only read the abstract; but from the date I doubt whether all of the subjects had autoimmune diabetes even if they were all initially insulin dependent. Nowadays, IDDM would be divided into Type 1A, with a positive antibody test, and Type 1B who are antibody negative and in whom the underlying pathology is much less well understood. The incidence of Type 1B varies between groups; but it is over 50% for example in new onset cases in Hispanic children in the U.S. The successes reported may have been in Type 1B patients in whom the natural history is often to become insulin independent after a few weeks.

There have been many other studies of nicotinamide in new onset IDDM, giving it alone or with other antioxidants like Vitamin E. The results where clinical diabetes has been established have been uniformly disappointing.

However by screening either large populations of school children or first degree relatives of new onset Type 1A Diabetes it has been possible to establish 'pre-diabetic' groups, i.e., children who were antibody positive who also had some evidence of glucose intolerance; but who were not yet clinically diabetic. In New Zealand, a trial of nicotinamide in such a group suggested that about two thirds of those who received nicotinamide showed, over seven years, a significant delay in the onset of clinical diabetes. A similar study in Germany however did not confirm this. The definitive trial, known as ENDIT, is still taking place in Europe and Canada and a preliminary analysis of the results is to take place early next year.

Posted to Research: Cure and Research: Causes and Prevention