Question:

From British Columbia, Canada:

I am 31 years old and my son is three and has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for 1 year now. I am pregnant again and am wondering of the chances of this baby of having diabetes also. There is diabetes on my mothers side, type 1 and type 2. Are there any statistics on this?

Answer:

Diabetes runs in your family, which probably increases the risk of your children developing diabetes. However, the cause of diabetes is complex and it is difficult to predict a true risk. There are studies ongoing in the prevention of diabetes. Therefore, it may be worthwhile having your next child tested as an infant.

Additional comments from The Editor:

Since you have one child with diabetes, you should look into participating in the Diabetes Prevention Trial - Type 1.

JSH

Posted to Genetics and Heredity