From British Columbia, Canada:

I am 31 years old and my son is three and has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for 1 year now. I am pregnant again and am wondering of the chances of this baby of having diabetes also. There is diabetes on my mothers side, type 1 and type 2. Are there any statistics on this?

Diabetes runs in your family, which probably increases the risk of your children developing diabetes. However, the cause of diabetes is complex and it is difficult to predict a true risk. There are studies ongoing in the prevention of diabetes. Therefore, it may be worthwhile having your next child tested as an infant.

Additional comments from The Editor:

Since you have one child with diabetes, you should look into participating in the Diabetes Prevention Trial - Type 1.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity