From Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada:

I am a 21 year old male who has had type 1 diabetes for 8 years. I am currently on two injections a day, and I would like to know what the benefits and drawbacks would be to going to three injections a day.

When asked to answer your question, you get the author's biases. I am a firm believer that people who are able, should manage diabetes like their pancreas would manage blood sugar if they didn't have diabetes.

Capable means old enough and motivated enough to think for the pancreas. What is the blood sugar? What will I eat? What does a given carbohydrate load and the mixture of the food do to my blood sugar? And, What have I been doing (activity, exercise) and what will I be doing? Given these answers one might then be able to adjust insulin for each meal, major snack and determine a dose of basal insulin.

I would encourage you to go for it, indeed, take at least four shots a day!

That's my bias, I will not apologize for it. Any good diabetes team can teach you how to do this. Is it more work than 2 shots a day, yes, what is gained, power over diabetes instead of diabetes running your day.

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Daily Care