Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Oct 1998

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My 12 year old was diagnosed three years ago. Her doctor has put her on insulin shots 4 times a day starting this year. This is really very disturbing for her. Is there anyway that we could get rid of these injections? (29 Oct 1998)

2. My six year old son was recently diagnosed with "hypoglycemic ketoacidosis (low blood sugar)". I can't seem to find any information on this subject. (29 Oct 1998)

3. I have a 10 year old daughter diagnosed with type 1 about 6 months ago. I would like to enquire about the new injections that do not use a needle. Where can they be obtained from and how much do they cost? (29 Oct 1998)

4. I was just told my 15 month old grandson is diabetic. Can you tell me what the criteria is for diagnosis and how accurate is the diagnosis for a child of that age? (29 Oct 1998)

5. My son is 3 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 6 months ago. We were instructed to give him Pork insulin, both R and N. Now I have heard they are doing away with pork insulin. (29 Oct 1998)

6. My daughter has had diabetes for about 2 years. She will be starting Field Hockey next week. The games will not end until after her normal dinner time. How do we keep her sugar levels up with no dinner, and all that exercise? (29 Oct 1998)

7. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 2 1/2 years ago. Recently, there has been protein in her urine. Should I be overly concerned about this? (29 Oct 1998)

8. How does rebounding affect a 5 year old? (29 Oct 1998)

9. I got diabetes at the age of 11. I'm now 15. The question that I have is how can I stop myself from eating what all my other friends are eating? I feel like I'm in denial. (29 Oct 1998)

10. I am going to start using an insulin pump. My doctor says for me to decide between Minimed or Disetronic. Which is the best? (29 Oct 1998)

11. I am a 28 year old female and a type 1 diabetic for 23 years. I've been on the insulin pump for 2 months now. I was told that for every 15 grams of carbohydrate I eat, that I was supposed to take 2 units of Humalog. After nearly every time I eat I have been hypoglycemic! (28 Oct 1998)

12. I have a daughter who is 12 years old. She is on insulin pump therapy. How can I convince her to take her diabetes more seriously? She won't check her blood sugar levels unless I go to school and remind her. (28 Oct 1998)

13. Where would be the best place to get tested for diabetes? How long would it take to get the results? How accurate is the testing? (28 Oct 1998)

14. My son (9 years old) was diagnosed earlier this year, but has been sick with similar symptoms for over two years. Does this mean that the diabetes could have been present all this time? (28 Oct 1998)

15. I was recently tested for C-peptide response to a "standard mixed meal." The reading for C-peptide went from 0.5 nmol/l at the start to 0.7 nmol/l at 1 hour. Do these numbers indicate a normal, excessive, or inadequate C-peptide response? (28 Oct 1998)

16. My son is 14 and has had Type 1 for three years. He sees a pediatric endocrinologist. At what age would you recommend he change to a regular endocrinologist? (28 Oct 1998)

17. My daughter, type 1 for one and a half years, is struggling to keep herself under control. Our problem is with her doctors. One, her endocrinologist, says use NPH, and keep her sugar levels between 100 and 150. The other, her pediatrician, says Ultralente, and don't worry about her levels. (28 Oct 1998)

18. I am 33 and was just diagnosed with diabetes, type 2, 10 days ago. I previously took lots of fertility drugs. I did not become pregnant. Will I be able to take fertility drugs in the future now that I have diabetes? (28 Oct 1998)

19. My daughter is 8 years old and was diagnosed as Type 1 about two months ago. We have had people suggest that, beyond taking her to diabetic specialists, we should also solicit care and advice from a chiropractor. (28 Oct 1998)

20. My daughter has been placed in an accelerated math class, which is proving to be too difficult for her. Her blood sugars have been high since school started in August. In speaking to her counselor and teachers, they seem to imply that 504 does not protect her in this situation. (28 Oct 1998)

21. My daughter is a five years old and she is dependent on insulin injections. I will like to how I can get her pancreas checked whether it is producing the insulin or not. (26 Oct 1998)

22. My 17 year old niece has diabetes. She was diagnosed at about age 10. Recently, she's become very frail, almost fragile. If a proper diet and medication regimen are strictly enforced, is a dramatic weight loss 25-30 pounds a common diabetic symptom? (26 Oct 1998)

23. I am a 35 year old male, type 2. I am working hard to gain weight by lifting weights. No matter how hard I try I am not able to gain weight or build muscle mass. muscle mass. (26 Oct 1998)

24. My 2 and a half year old was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. As part of our moving requirements to Southern Spain the Navy had administered a typhoid and Hepatitis A vaccine. Could these have been the environmental trigger that brought out diabetes in my son? (26 Oct 1998)

25. Can a person with diabetes be prevented from being hired as a firefighter? (26 Oct 1998)

26. I'm 32 years of age and have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 4 month ago. My doctor believes I contracted the disease by having the chickenpox 6 months ago; could this be possible? (26 Oct 1998)

27. My son is six years old. He's had diabetes since he was 3 and 1/2. His behavior has been very upsetting to the whole family. He kicks, pushes, and is very mean. We check his sugar and he's fine. Could this be his way of rebelling? (25 Oct 1998)

28. I've recently started hiking and want to try some all day / multi-day trips. How do I keep my monitor/test strips/insulin at the required temperatures? (25 Oct 1998)

29. My daughter (17 months) has Lichen Striatus. Should we worry? Can this lead to other problems? (25 Oct 1998)

30. My son is 11. His teacher wants to combine his morning snack and gym snack for the same time. Would this cause a problem with raising his blood sugars up too high? (25 Oct 1998)

31. My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two years ago. She also has Hemoglobin AE (Hgb E Trait), but not the disease itself. Do you know if this will effect her A1c test? (25 Oct 1998)

32. My son is almost 3, and was diagnosed a year ago. Should he have the Chicken Pox vaccination? Also when should he get the flu shot? (22 Oct 1998)

33. My 5-year-old son's preschool teachers are reluctant to give him specific amounts of the morning snack. They say they don't want to be liable for giving him the wrong amounts. (22 Oct 1998)

34. My 7-year-old cat was diagnosed with diabetes several months ago. I am having trouble regulating him. I heard that brewer's yeast could help lower his blood glucose levels. Can you provide any information about this? (22 Oct 1998)

35. I have a 7-year-old nephew in whom diabetes type 1 was detected one month ago. I would like to know more details about pancreas transplantation in kids his age. (22 Oct 1998)

36. In a previous answer you say: "Frequent hypoglycemia is to be avoided". That is a phrase often used. But can you please define a bit more exactly what you understand by it? (21 Oct 1998)

37. My 13 year old son recently had his second episode of low blood sugar at approximately 6:30 A.M., in which he didn't appear alert or responsive 1-2 hours after treatment. Why is it taking him so long to recover? (21 Oct 1998)

38. I can't find nutrition info for wheat berries, and I want to try a new recipe. Is there a web site that I can check to find this kind of information? (21 Oct 1998)

39. My daughter is 6. Six weeks ago we changed to Humalog and NPH from Regular and NPH. Since changing to Humalog she complains of stinging and burning at the injection site. Has anyone else experienced this problem? (21 Oct 1998)

40. I was diagnosed about nine months ago (age 29, 500 blood glucose). I took insulin for a couple of weeks and have not needed any medication since then. Could what happened to me possibly be a case of "transient hyperglycemia"? (21 Oct 1998)

41. I would like to know the normal range on a meter for blood sugar. (21 Oct 1998)

42. My 5 year old daughter is on a constant carb diet. She is very picky in what she will eat. We experience many lows (below 40), and many highs, (above 400), due to her lack of eating. Any suggestions? (21 Oct 1998)

43. I have a question regarding meat analogs and soy protein products, and how to count them for carb counting for insulin pump therapy. (21 Oct 1998)

44. My daughter has been taking Mixtard 70/30 human insulin. The doctor now feels that we should change to pork insulin and move to a mixed format of 80/20. Is it safe? (21 Oct 1998)

45. Our son has a sensitive stomach. When he has stomach problems, the U causes him to have hypoglycemia. Although the H and U seem to fit his athletic lifestyle best, the U is a problem for the sensitive stomach problem. Is there a better insulin combination for him? (21 Oct 1998)

46. My mother told me that my 6 year old nephew has been diagnosed with diabetes. I am a little concerned about this because of the stories that I hear about adult diabetes. Will my nephew live a normal life? (19 Oct 1998)

47. Often in the morning when I wake up I find large amounts of ketones in my urine. Are the ketones doing any damage to my body, like wearing my kidneys out for example? (19 Oct 1998)

48. I am 28 and a type 1 diabetic for 23 years. I used to take 2 shots a day, a total of 180 units each day. Now this past month and a half, I've been using an insulin pump. Now I am taking 2/3 less insulin per day, usually between 50 to 60 units. (19 Oct 1998)

49. My 2 year old son was diagnosed 6 months ago with Type 1. Up until a few weeks before his diagnosis he was a very easy-going child. But his temperament has radically changed. He is very temperamental, cries a lot, whines a lot and has tantrums. (19 Oct 1998)

50. My granddaughter just turned 9 and then was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last week. She began darting her eyes up and sideways while in the hospital and now she nervously touches her fingers to her thumbs over and over. Her mother worries that it may be a neurological problem. Could it be stress? (19 Oct 1998)

51. I have two children with diabetes aged 8 and 9. They were diagnosed at ages 2 and 18 months. They don't want to have anything to do with taking over some of the care, such as testing. Is this normal? (18 Oct 1998)

52. I have just been released from the hospital diagnosed with pancreatitis, which has made me diabetic. I am 29 years old. Can I drink cranberry juice? The second ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. (18 Oct 1998)

53. I'm a 16 year old male who was diagnosed several months ago with type 1 diabetes. I take insulin to control my sugar, but when I don't want to bother with an injection, my sugar levels can go very high (600+). Are there any other ways I can take my insulin other than an injection? (18 Oct 1998)

54. What effect does four times a day finger poking have on children's fingers? My 11-year-old son has had diabetes for two years and his fingers are starting to get pretty ragged. (18 Oct 1998)

55. I am the parent of a 5 year old who was diagnosed 2 years ago. Should my son get a flu shot? I got him one last year in the United States but have recently moved to UK, where medicine is differently practised. (18 Oct 1998)

56. My 16 year old grandson has had Type 1 diabetes for 5 years. Up until a year or so ago, I would see articles about pancreas cell implants. Now I no longer hear about this. What happened? (18 Oct 1998)

57. Would you please tell me what the difference is between NPH and Lente types of insulin? (18 Oct 1998)

58. Are the standards for blood glucose levels different between adults and young children? My daughter has a blood glucose level of about 148 before going to bed last night. (18 Oct 1998)

59. My 11 year old was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 6 months ago. The doctor mentioned that my son seems to be insulin insensitive. He is currently using 50 NPH and 50 Regular, both in the morning and with dinner. (18 Oct 1998)

60. I have been a type 1 diabetic since I was 13. I am now 34 and am appalled at how the insurance companies refuse to cover certain items of necessity to make a diabetics life as normal and risk free as can be. (18 Oct 1998)

61. My 7 year old isn't getting enough to eat from the school's hot lunches. What do I do when she is low? (17 Oct 1998)

62. I am a school nurse and have a 7 year old boy with Type 1 diabetes in my school. Please help with suggestions for snacks. (17 Oct 1998)

63. Do people with diabetes heal slower from wounds? (17 Oct 1998)

64. My granddaughter (age 2) has been diabetic for over a year and I have a hard time to cope with it, mainly because I don't understand it. (17 Oct 1998)

65. How does Olestra affect the body? (17 Oct 1998)

66. I am the mother of a daughter, who is 10 years old and is an insulin dependent diabetic type 1. Her daily units are very low, using NPH insulin, without correction of "current insulin" and I would like to know what are the latest advances about this type of insulin resistance. (17 Oct 1998)

67. My mum said I might have diabetes. She had a sister who had it. I heard from a friend they have to take some blood. I have a phobia of needles so I wanted to check out with you guys if I might have diabetes before I get my sugar levels checked. (17 Oct 1998)

68. My son, aged 7, woke up yesterday sick, feverish, nauseous, tired. After extra 4 hours sleep, he awoke, hungry, thirsty, and with sweet breath. As a pharmacist, I recognized the signs and tested his blood. His reading was 11.8 mmol/l [212 mg/dl]. (17 Oct 1998)

69. My 4 1/2-year old nephew was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 2 1/2. Within hours of his birth, his blood sugar "crashed". There was nothing mentioned about diabetes at the time. Could he have had diabetes then? (17 Oct 1998)

70. I am trying to find out if fruits are okay to eat if you have type 2 diabetes. I love to eat tons of fruits. Watermelon and cantaloupes are my favorite. (17 Oct 1998)

71. What's the diet plan for a 12-year old girl suffering from insulin dependent diabetes? (16 Oct 1998)

72. My eight year old daughter has been diabetic for five months. I have read about niacinamide. Should I give this to her, and can it be harmful? (16 Oct 1998)

73. How does one determine insulin dependence? (16 Oct 1998)

74. My son is a type 1 diabetic. He is under control. A boy in my son's class is a brittle diabetic. He is being raised by his father. His mother is in another state. How can we help him control his diabetes? (16 Oct 1998)

75. How many grams of a red watermelon contain one Bread Exchange? (16 Oct 1998)

76. My 7 year old isn't getting enough to eat from the school's hot lunches. What do I do when she is low? How do I know she is getting enough? (13 Oct 1998)

77. I am a type 1 diabetic. I was in an accident where I received a lot of bruises. I want to know why it takes a diabetic so long to heal. (13 Oct 1998)

78. My son, age 16, is a competitive swimmer and does intense training most of the year. He has had 3 severe reactions over the past 8 years. My concern is that his insulin dose seems awfully high for the amount of swimming he does. (13 Oct 1998)

79. What is the name of the new drug that kick-starts the pancreas and how does it work? (12 Oct 1998)

80. I have an 11 year old daughter, just diagnosed four months ago. I was told that diabetics are prone to yeast infections. She has itching and burning a lot. It has gotten so bad she can't participate in her sport activities, or swim with her friends. Does anyone have any answers to help her? (12 Oct 1998)

81. My son, 3, was seen by his pediatrician for severe abdominal pain and vomiting. While looking for the source of his pain a day later, blood tests showed a glucose level of 233, then 260. Could a stomach virus cause an increase in blood sugar to 260 in a child without diabetes? (12 Oct 1998)

82. My 5 1/2 year old grandson periodically runs low blood glucoses at 3 A.M. and has to be fed. (Lows are in the 40-50's.) Are these lows in the range which may affect his learning abilities in the future? (12 Oct 1998)

83. My son is a type 1, 23 year old insulin dependent diabetic. He runs 45 km a day (that's a marathon). He has some blisters and a couple of infected toes. What is the best thing to do for this sort of problem? (12 Oct 1998)

84. My 11 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes about six months ago. The doctor says his thyroid is enlarged. They did a test, which showed it is functioning correctly, but she said he has Autoimmune Thyroid Disease. What is this? (12 Oct 1998)

85. My son just turned 7. He has had diabetes since he was two and a half. My question is about his frequently wetting, and pooping in his pants. Does this have anything to do with him having diabetes? (12 Oct 1998)

86. I am looking for something to get the blood from the finger to the monitor. When my child was in the hospital they used a small plastic bubble to suck the blood into and then drop it onto the strip. (12 Oct 1998)

87. My boyfriend's 10 year old son who recently moved in with us, has been diabetic since he was about 3 years old. His past diet history has been mainly fast foods or processed foods. Do you have any suggestions regarding introducing fruits, vegetables to a child who refuses to try new foods? (12 Oct 1998)

88. I am a 34 year old female with type 1 diabetes. Am I at a higher than normal risk to have a baby with Down's Syndrome or other genetic problems? Will my children have a higher probability of developing diabetes? (12 Oct 1998)

89. I'm going on a two week vacation to Ethiopia in 6 weeks. I'm also going on an insulin pump in one week and will have time to adjust to the pump for only 5 weeks before going. Anything in particular I should think about? (10 Oct 1998)

90. My 9 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 about 1.5 years ago. Unfortunately, of late, I have noticed that small amounts of insulin are coming back out of the injection site after I remove the needle. (10 Oct 1998)

91. I am wondering (as someone newly concerned about diabetes) whether anyone has made a diet soda that does not taste like chemical-plant effluent. (10 Oct 1998)

92. My 3 year old son was diagnosed at age 18 months. He currently takes Humalog mixed with NPH insulin three times per day. He wakes up most mornings with elevated blood sugar of 200 or more. Would the use of Ultralente insulin help with control of the A.M. reading? (9 Oct 1998)

93. We have three daughters, ages 6, 3 and 1. The 3 year old was diagnosed about 10 months ago with Type 1 diabetes. My father and his brother both have Type 1 Diabetes. Would you recommend the other children having the test to check their antibodies? (9 Oct 1998)

94. I am a 19 year old, who has had Type 1 diabetes for about 16 years now. I have never seen an endocrinologist. If you appear to have fairly good control, is it really necessary to go to an endocrinologist? (9 Oct 1998)

95. I am a 16 year old type 1 diabetic. I take Ultralente and Regular, always around my left upper arm/shoulder. My arm has worked well for me for 4 months, but now I commonly bleed heavily at the injection site. Why does my arm bleed? (9 Oct 1998)

96. I noticed an article concerning an abrupt increase in the incidence of IDDM in children in Canada. In that report the author mentions that the life expectance of people with IDDM is reduced by 30%. Is that statistic still true? (9 Oct 1998)

97. Our 7 year-old son was diagnosed 15 months ago. Three months ago, he had an Islet Cell Antibody test. Given that this test came back negative, we can assume that none of these 5 common antibodies are present. (9 Oct 1998)

98. My sister died of diabetes a week ago. The doctors told us that it was "acute diabetes" but there is another name for it and I was wondering if you would be able to tell me so I can get more information on this. (8 Oct 1998)

99. Do you have any information on an insulinoma? (8 Oct 1998)

100. Our 11 year old son has been a type 1 diabetic for almost 3 years. Today, we experienced his first problem low upon waking. We called his endocrinologist who thought we should have used glucagon. (8 Oct 1998)

101. My father died from diabetes complications at the age of 60. He developed diabetes when he was 32. Does our baby have a chance of developing diabetes? (8 Oct 1998)

102. Our 6-year-old daughter has been using the GentleJet injector. We just found out that the US distributor does not exist anymore. (8 Oct 1998)

103. How do British and Canadian diabetic food exchanges compare? (8 Oct 1998)

104. I have been on the Atkins diet and have lost weight, gained energy and feel great. Could my 15 year old daughter go on this meal plan? (8 Oct 1998)

105. We have read in several sources that while the predisposition to get type 1 diabetes is largely genetic, the incident that triggers onset of diabetes can be environmental. Published sources indicate that the trauma of a severe automobile accident can trigger type 1 diabetes. Do you concur? (8 Oct 1998)

106. Our 41-year old son, a Type 1 diabetic diagnosed at 10 years of age. He started a non-smoking program several weeks ago and is using the patch. He is experiencing extraordinarily high sugar readings at night of 400+. (8 Oct 1998)

107. Where in the United Kingdom can I find a company that supplies diabetic equipment for home use? (8 Oct 1998)

108. I've had type 1 (insulin dependent diabetes) since age 10. I am now 37 years old with a child with type 1 diabetes. My problem is I have no group of support for people in my age group with Type 1 diabetes. (5 Oct 1998)

109. My 18 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three months ago. since then he has kept his glucose in the 80-140 range. He has lost approximately 10 pounds and is already on the lean side of normal. He is constantly hungry and is afraid to eat because he thinks more food will elevate his glucose. (5 Oct 1998)

110. My 6 year old daughter recently experienced a severe hypo reaction during the middle of the night. She had to be administered glucagon to get her to be responsive. (4 Oct 1998)

111. My daughter is 16 years old and is on the drill team. She was diagnosed with hypoglycemia at 14. When they perform, she sometimes has a spell. She has been taking glucose tablets before she goes on the field. Is this the right thing to do? (4 Oct 1998)

112. I am 19 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes since the age of 3 months. People are telling me when you have diabetes for more than 17 years you begin to develop complications. How will I know if I am developing complications from diabetes? (4 Oct 1998)

113. My 14 year old daughter has been diagnosed as having either MODY or the onset of Type 1. Should I have her genetically tested? Would this be beneficial in treating her long term? (4 Oct 1998)

114. My 4 1/2 year old daughter exhibits signs of diabetes. She had a routine urine test during a physical that resulted in an amount of sugar in her urine. Her blood test showed slightly elevated level of ketones. My doctor told me not to worry about it. (4 Oct 1998)

115. My son was diagnosed with type 1 about ten months ago, and is now 2 years, 3 months old. He occasionally will not eat meals or snacks. His blood glucose has never been very stable but he has been bouncing very high and low for about a month. (4 Oct 1998)

116. I'm 23 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 11 years. My blood sugar levels fluctuate greatly due to an erratic lifestyle. Recently I was told by my doctor that I am showing the early signs of kidney problems. He told me that sometime in the distant future I will need dialysis and eventually a kidney transplant. (4 Oct 1998)

117. I would like to know what "Stress Hyperglycemia" is, if it is true that children do develop diabetes after being diagnosed with this condition. (4 Oct 1998)

118. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a sudden drastic rise in levels (200-270) for about a week. By the time I got to see my doctor, my glucose level was back to normal (100-135). (4 Oct 1998)

119. My daughter is 11 years old and has Type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed two months ago. She is currently on Humalog and Ultralente. I have several questions. (4 Oct 1998)

120. I am a 65 year old with Type 2 diabetes. I am trying to lose weight but cannot. I keep gaining regardless of how I watch my diet. Is diabetes the cause of weight gain? What can I do? (3 Oct 1998)

121. I am 16 almost 17, and I am a senior in high school. I have type one diabetes for almost five years. Are there any scholarships for diabetics, other than the one by the Eli Lilly company? (3 Oct 1998)

122. My endocrinologist recently told me that animal insulin will be discontinued. I called both Lilly and Novo, and they stated that they have no plans to discontinue animal insulin. (3 Oct 1998)

123. Can glucosamine sulfate increase blood glucose in people with diabetes? Should people with diabetes avoid it? (3 Oct 1998)

124. My 5 year old daughter is very picky in what she will eat. She experiences many lows and many highs due to her lack of eating. Any suggestions on how to get her to eat more or is there another diet control method? (3 Oct 1998)

125. Our 2 year old granddaughter was diagnosed nine months ago. Recently her insulin regimen was changed to add a third shot and a third insulin. Previously she was using Humalog and NPH. Regular insulin was added. Ever since, she refuses to eat much. (3 Oct 1998)

126. My daughter is 18 months old. We have been checking her blood sugars on a friend's glucose meter. It goes as low as 42 and high of 187 after a nap and nothing to eat for close to three hours. Should I be concerned? (3 Oct 1998)

127. I am 28, have been diabetic for 25 years. I have had real trouble with lipohypertrophy in my injection sites. I have asked my doc repeatedly for some assistance in ridding my body of these terrible lumps. I would really like some tips on prevention and removal! (3 Oct 1998)

128. I have a 15 month old daughter who seems to constantly need a cup of juice in her hand. We have heard that that can be a symptom of diabetes. What is normal fluid intake and just how concerned should we be? (3 Oct 1998)

129. We have a vegetarian patient who consumes meat analogs/soy products who recently started the insulin pump. Are there any special considerations for carb counting with a vegetarian meal plan? (3 Oct 1998)

130. My husband, 28, with type 1, was diagnosed with "moderate diabetic retinopathy". His physicians says no treatment is necessary. Is this the standard procedure? (2 Oct 1998)

131. Recently I found some very good sugar-free cookies. The label says they have no sugar, but do contain sugar alcohols. What are sugar alcohols and how do they affect blood glucose levels? (2 Oct 1998)

132. I am a 40 year old male who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes almost 30 years ago at age 11. A couple of nights ago, I suffered convulsions caused by hypoglycemia. This has happened to me several times in the last 29 years and is needless to say a very unpleasant experience. Why is it that I very often have episodes of low blood sugar at night without suffering convulsions? (2 Oct 1998)

133. I'm looking for any information on the relationship between adult onset diabetes and osteoporosis. (2 Oct 1998)

134. Do type 1s on high levels of insulin (more than 1 unit per kg of body weight) have the same risk of developing cardiovascular complications as type 2s who are insulin resistant? (2 Oct 1998)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts