Question:

I'm looking for any information on the relationship between adult onset diabetes and osteoporosis. My grandmother -- more than fifty years ago -- took insulin. Other medical problems included a mild stroke and a broken hip. My father took oral medication. He had a coronary bypass surgery 27 years ago. In the last years of his life he had a "dowager's hump."

At age 58 I am considered very young to have as much bone loss as I do. My diabetes was discovered in the past year. Has anyone done any research on correlating diabetes with other diseases?

Answer:

There have been several studies on the relationship between Type 2 Diabetes and osteoporosis in women. The association seems to be more clear and more explicable in autoimmune (Type 1) diabetes however. One of the resources you might be able to consult in your nearest Medical Library is by Murray, T.M., Canadian Medical Assoc. Jour., 156:1261,1996 and you might enjoy exploring the theme in PubMed if you feel you can cope with a certain amount of technical jargon. Above all, you need to discuss this with your diabetes care team, especially in relation to diet and exercise.

DO'B