From Pennsylvania, USA:

I am a 65 year old with Type 2 diabetes. I am trying to lose weight but cannot. I keep gaining regardless of how I watch my diet. My daily blood glucose in the morning is 155 or more. Is diabetes the cause of weight gain? What can I do?

People with Type 2 diabetes are generally overweight because there is actually an excess of insulin driving hunger and because in many cases the receptor cites on the cells for insulin are not working quite right it takes more insulin to get the sugar into the cells. Fat will coat the cells and make the receptors even less effective, calling for more insulin, etc. The abundance of insulin in your system will take any sugar not burned by your body and convert it to fat for storage. It is a vicious cycle.

You did not mention if you had started an exercise program. Exercise helps your body burn more sugar and makes the receptors on the cells more effective. You will need to be sure to consult with your doctor before you start exercising.

You do not say what kind of a diet you are on, but I would recommend you visit with a dietitian regarding your meal plan to get some extra help, perhaps there are suggestions that could be made to help you make some headway. Remember that weight goes off slowly, so try not to get too discouraged.