From Austin, Texas, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, diagnosed 18 months ago after treatment with steroids resulted in extremely high blood sugar levels. I have been getting good blood glucose levels without medication for the last year. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a sudden drastic rise in levels (200-270) for about a week. By the time I got to see my doctor, my glucose level was back to normal (100-135). In fact, readings have lately been what I consider low (low 80s just before a meal).

I was not sick, or under any stress; I felt fine. But such an excursion worried me; is this an indication of a problem in the making? Have you any advice or suggestions?

Sometimes weird blood sugars show up (pun intended) then settle down without ever figuring out why. That's part of the excitement of having diabetes. I once said that there are 100 possible reasons for high blood sugars, and we know about 50 of them.

If your sugars stay settled down, relax. It could have been a "subclinical" viral infection, or 99 other reasons.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA