Question:

From Austin, Texas, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, diagnosed 18 months ago after treatment with steroids resulted in extremely high blood sugar levels. I have been getting good blood glucose levels without medication for the last year. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a sudden drastic rise in levels (200-270) for about a week. By the time I got to see my doctor, my glucose level was back to normal (100-135). In fact, readings have lately been what I consider low (low 80s just before a meal).

I was not sick, or under any stress; I felt fine. But such an excursion worried me; is this an indication of a problem in the making? Have you any advice or suggestions?

Answer:

Sometimes weird blood sugars show up (pun intended) then settle down without ever figuring out why. That's part of the excitement of having diabetes. I once said that there are 100 possible reasons for high blood sugars, and we know about 50 of them.

If your sugars stay settled down, relax. It could have been a "subclinical" viral infection, or 99 other reasons.

WWQ

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA