Question:

From California, USA:

I'm 23 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 11 years. My blood sugar levels fluctuate greatly due to an erratic lifestyle. Recently I was told by my doctor that I am showing the early signs of kidney problems. He told me that sometime in the distant future I will need dialysis and eventually a kidney transplant. He told me to lessen my protein intake, to take a drug called Monopril [an ACE-Inhibitor], and to drink a milk substitute (Vitamite) instead of regular milk.

Should my doctor be so definite of my future of developing kidney disease and I am on a road that I can't turn back from (i.e., am I doing all I can do)?

Answer:

Your doctor obviously has some test results that are of concern -- presumably your kidneys are leaking protein -- this can be a sign of early diabetes damage. If your blood levels of waste salts (urea and creatinine) are still normal then there is a good chance that with the treatment your doctor suggests, you may be able to reduce the rate of (or reverse) the process. What is also of critical importance is that you do all that you can to improve your diabetes control. You need to pay particular attention to regular blood sugar testing and discuss your insulin regimen with your diabetes team. Your diet generally should also be scrutinised. If I am reading your question correctly, you are being given a timely warning that your diabetes is beginning to cause problems but you still have time to do a lot about it.