Question:

From Texas, USA:

My daughter is 16 years old and is on the drill team. She was diagnosed with hypoglycemia at 14. When they perform, she sometimes has a spell. She has been taking glucose tablets before she goes on the field. Is this the right thing to do? If she does not, she will fall out in the middle of a performance.

Answer:

I think the glucose tabs are okay, but she might just have a carton of juice (costs less than the glucose tabs). She also should have, if possible at the same time, a food with longer-acting carbohydrate and protein. Peanut butter on crackers or a granola bar would be great. If she has just the rapid-acting carbohydrate, she have an even-lower blood glucose, especially with all of the activity. Also, be sure she drinks plenty of water - very important!

LSF