Question:

From Ottawa, Ontario, Canada:

I realize that many of these questions are for children with diabetes, but, this is very important to me. I've had type 1 (insulin dependent diabetes) since age 10. I am now 37 years old with a child with type 1 diabetes. So, the two of us have juvenile diabetes (which is what it used to be called). I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada where most of the diabetic population is older type 2's. Therefore, the CDA in Ottawa mostly have support groups for this particular group. There is also a lot of support for parents of children with diabetes.

My problem is I have no group of support for people in my age group with Type 1 diabetes, who've grown up with it and have dealt with it as a child, an adolescent, and is living it as an adult. I'm finding it harder and harder to get the support I need. Any suggestions? As I've mentioned before talking with the CDA in Ottawa is a waste of time. Also, the clinic at the hospital where I go for my appointments find it hard to believe that I as an adult has type 1 diabetes from childhood. I guess most of them are type 2's at the hospital. I really need some kind of support for me, not just my child. I would appreciate any comments or help you can suggest. It's getting harder and harder. I'm also seeing a psychiatrist for my depression which I am going through.

Answer:

I have noticed that Medscape now has a Canadian Journal of Diabetes Management on its website. This might be a good place to begin your research for options in your locale.

There is a notable connection between depression and chronic disease management. People with chronic disorders such as lupus, asthma, and diabetes often have to combat feelings of depression as well. As a counselor serving those with such illnesses, I know the importance of ongoing support.

Have you ever considered starting the support group yourself? I know it is a bit scary, but who better to initiate the program than yourself. You could simply send out flyers to local places: libraries, schools, hospitals and see who turns up! You may find you are not so alone as your thought. Everyone else may be waiting for the same thing!

CMB

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

Also, look up the Message Board and Chat Rooms this website. They have sections for adults with Type 1 diabetes, where you can chat and share.

WWQ