Question:

From Columbus, Ohio, USA:

I have been on the Atkins diet and have lost weight, gained energy and feel great. Could my 15 year old daughter go on this meal plan of cutting out breads, potatoes, rice, pasta and substitute those carbs with better ones? Are there CDE who can help in Ohio?

Answer:

You have posed an excellent question about the Atkins diet. It has been around for at least 30 or 40 years. I am very glad you had excellent results with the diet.

I am assuming your daughter has type 1 diabetes, and it would be beneficial to know what her blood glucose control is, her height and weight, etc. Nonetheless, the Atkins diet cannot be recommended to anyone with diabetes, especially type 1 diabetes. It does not contain sufficient carbohydrates needed for growth and repair of tissue and prevention of ketosis. The calories are mainly from proteins and fats, all of which can be very hard on the heart and kidneys. Since there are very few carbohydrates that are allowed on the diet, it becomes difficult to follow and many times people come off a diet like that in very poor control and feeling very defeated.

There are many excellent dietitians throughout the United States who are Certified Diabetes Educators who can help your daughter with a balanced meal plan which goes along with her lifestyle, rather than making her lifestyle match a set meal plan. Please call the American Association of Diabetes Educators and ask for an "RD, CDE" in your area. Their phone number is 1-800-TEAMUP4.

LSF