From Aberdeen, Scotland, UK:

I have an 8 month old child, I am 30 years old and my husband is 32. None of us suffers from diabetes, but my father died from diabetes complications at the age of 60. He developed diabetes when he was 32 and was insulin-dependent for 15 years. My father-in-law also has diabetes, type 2. He is 65 and on diabetes pills. My father-in-law's mother died from diabetes at the age of 40.

Does our baby have a chance of developing diabetes? Should we test him to identify any potential risks? Which tests should he take? Is there anything we can do to prevent our baby from developing diabetes?

If your own father became diabetic at age 32 and did not require insulin until he was 45, it is very unlikely that he suffered from Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes. Your baby therefore seems to have no first or second degree relatives with this problem so the chances of becoming diabetic are likely to be no more than that of the population as a whole, which is around 0.02% per year up to age 18, perhaps somewhat higher than that in Scotland. Other forms of diabetes do occur in childhood; but are exceedingly rare and with no family history should not be of concern.

I don't think, therefore, that it is necessary to test for antibodies; but if you are still very concerned you should talk to your family doctor about this.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity