Question:

From Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, USA:

Do you have any information on an insulinoma? Can you direct me to where I would be able to get this information?

Answer:

An insulinoma is a tumor of the pancreas, involving the islet cells, but usually not malignant. It can occur at any age, infancy to adult. It usually presents with severe hypoglycemia as the islet cells make insulin at great rates and in amounts that are excessive.

This disease can be diagnosed by a good endocrinologist using blood tests and modern imaging.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

Insulinomas can usually be cured by surgical removal. Sometimes a medication called diazoxide is used to control the excess insulin output, but it usually doesn't work very well.

WWQ