From Nassau, Bahamas:

I am a 19 year old, who has had Type 1 diabetes for about 16 years now. I have never seen an endocrinologist (except for one time when I had surgery, about 4 years ago), but I have never had any serious complications. Is this really a big problem? If you appear to have fairly good control, is it really necessary to go to an endocrinologist?

This is quite a culture thing. We would expect all diabetes patients to see a specialist at least once a year and they certainly would if any problems developed. Isn't the world an interesting place? As far as children and adolescents are concerned, they should all be seen regularly by a clinician with a special interest in diabetes. We have achieved this in Scotland (at least for the under 16s) but there are still a number of places in England where a few children are seen by general paediatricians.