Question:

From St. Lucia, West Indies:

My 9 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 about 1.5 years ago. He is not yet willing to try to do his own injection and I am the only one in the family who is prepared to do it. His father and sister are squeamish about needles! Unfortunately, of late, I have noticed that small amounts of insulin are coming back out of the injection site after I remove the needle. It does not happen all the time but I do not know why it happens. Is it my technique that is the problem? In St. Lucia we do not have any diabetes specialists.

Answer:

It may be problems with technique. Short needles tend to be more of a problem; if you're using them, switch to longer ones.

Try injecting at a 90-degree angle to the surface of the skin. Let go of the pinch after you insert the needle before pushing the plunger. Push the plunger in slowly over about 10-15 seconds, then count slowly to 10 after pushing, before removing it. Do a careful inspection of the skin. If there's leakage at one area and not at other areas, avoid the problem site for a month or more. Maybe get an Inject-Ease.

Talk to a nurse at a local hospital, and see if they can observe you with your technique, and perhaps give you more hints.

SS