Question:

From Sweden:

I'm a 23 year old going on a two week vacation to Ethiopia in Africa in 6 weeks. I'm also going on an insulin pump in one week and will have time to adjust to the pump for only 5 weeks before going. Anything in particular I should think about? Any tip is valuable to me. Thanks!

Answer:

Call the pump manufacturer, and get phone numbers for contacts in Africa (or Europe just in case). I would for safety change your cartridge and refill the tubing at least every two days if hot weather; more often if things are out-of-whack. And make sure to take syringes and insulin for standard shots just in case. Check with your diabetes team about changing to Ultralente and Regular or Humalog should your pump malfunction.

Standard instructions for traveling with diabetes, and for traveling to the tropics, should be reviewed with your physician.

Have a great trip! Send us pictures of you with your pump in Africa to publish at Children with Diabetes!

SS

Posted to Insulin Pumps