Question:

From Fairfax, Virginia, USA:

My son just turned 7. He has had diabetes since he was two and a half. Since the beginning he has done pretty good with everything. Just the normal stuff like picky eating, etc. We test often, which I feel has helped a lot. His A1c's have always been below 7.2. His last one was 6.7.

My question is about his frequently wetting, and pooping in his pants. Does this have anything to do with him having diabetes? I know when he is high he goes to the bathroom a lot, but even when he isn't high he wets and poops his pants. Especially the pooping seems to be getting bad. He can not hold it at all. So unless we are right next to the bathroom, he goes in his pants. What can be done? Help!

Answer:

From what you report (HbA1c value), it looks like your son has always been achieving a good metabolic control of his diabetes. Wetting and pooping a lot are not related anyhow to type 1 diabetes. I'd advise you to ask your pediatrician for more help.

Additional Comments from Dr. Tessa Lebinger:

Although the wetting and loss of bowel control are probably unrelated to diabetes, they could be related to unrecognized low blood sugar.

Additional comment added 28 Oct 1998