From Florida, USA:

My 11 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes about six months ago. His recent Hemoglobin test was 6.3%, which is excellent, I am told. The doctor says his thyroid is enlarged. They did a test, which showed it is functioning correctly, but she said he has Autoimmune Thyroid Disease. What is this? Can it be prevented? Will it definitely happen to him? When, and how will we know?

About 20% of children with diabetes develop thyroid disease too. Diabetes is an autoimmune disease in children (mostly). Thyroid disease, too, is autoimmune. Your doctor has diagnosed this autoimmunity.

Your child will go on to develop hypothyroidism and will need treatment with thyroid replacement, as pills, fortunately. There is nothing you can or could do to prevent this. Autoimmune thyroid disease just happens.

You should remain vigilant and continue to test and give medicine as soon as your doctor recommends.

Posted to Thyroid