Question:

From Virginia, USA:

What is the name of the new drug that kick-starts the pancreas and how does it work? I have had Type 1 for 47 years and was diagnosed at 6 years of age. I'm now 53. This question has been submitted at the request of my doctor, who works at the Department of Family Medicine at the University of Virginia Health Sciences Center.

Answer:

I think that there must have been a communication problem here because I know of no 'drug' new or old that kick-starts the pancreas. In any case if you really have Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes, there are almost certainly no insulin producing cells remaining in your pancreas to kick start. A protein has been described that seems to promote the growth of islet cells from pancreatic duct tissue in laboratory animals; but it is certainly not available for human use.

Perhaps your physician was thinking of troglitazone, which is a recently-developed drug which seems to act by increasing the sensitivity of the insulin receptor on the surface of cells. It is primarily for Type 2 or adult onset diabetes.

I am sure that your physician will get in touch with the endocrinology division at the Medical School if she knows of your interest.

DO'B

Posted to Research: Other and Medications: Pills for Diabetes