From Redlands, California, USA:

My son, age 16, has had Type 1 diabetes since age 8. He is a competitive swimmer and does intense training most of the year. He has had 3 severe reactions over the past 8 years. We are currently on a flexible insulin schedule. During intense training he was on 8R/50NPH in the morning and 8R/18NPH before late dinner. During tapers and rests, he goes up to 14R/57NPH in the morning, 14R at lunch, and 14R/21NPH at dinner. In addition he takes extra high carb Regular as needed. My concern is that his insulin dose seems awfully high for the amount of swimming he does (4-5 hours per day during training). Is is possible he could be getting too much insulin? If the insulin is high because of puberty and hormones when will it begin to level out? Also, he is 6'4" and weighs about 200 pounds.

The actual dose of insulin is not so much for a 90+ kg young man, all muscle I expect too.

The blood glucoses and the A1c are the outcomes you want to watch. Be sure to measure enough. Your meter is your friend. Middle of the night measurements are occasionally useful too.

Posted to Exercise and Sports