From Los Angeles, California, USA:

I am a type 1 diabetic. I was in an accident where I received a lot of bruises. I want to know why it takes a diabetic so long to heal.

For a start, you might want to ask your doctor whether the bruises are indeed taking longer to disappear than they would in a normal person. He/she could also reassure you that you that you didn't have some condition in addition to the diabetes that might promote bruising. Without knowing how old you are or for how long you have had diabetes, it is difficult to say whether diabetes itself may be playing a role. Generally though, the small blood vessels involved as long term complications are in the eyes or kidneys and not in the subcutaneous tissues.

Posted to Aches and Pains