From Colorado, USA:

My 7 year old isn't getting enough to eat from the school's hot lunches. What do I do when she is low? How do I know she is getting enough?

Eating at school can be a challenge. You may want to ask the school nurse or teacher to check on the amount of lunch your child is eating if she is experiencing lows during the afternoon. Your health care team may want to adjust the insulin regimen or add an extra snack to make up for a sparse lunch. Many parents visit with the person in charge of the cafeteria to determine amounts of foods served and may supplement the lunch if it does not appear to be adequate.

If the lunch being offered is not one your child likes, send a packed lunch instead. Some parents will send a little something to supplement the lunch such as a fresh fruit or granola bar, others may allow the child to choose chocolate milk when the options seem a little sparse. Be careful not to ask the school personnel to act as the "food police" though, no one likes to be singled out and hovered over.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Social Issues: School and Daycare