Question:

From Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA:

My son is a type 1 diabetic. He is under control. A boy in my son's class is a brittle diabetic. He is being raised by his father. His mother is in another state. How can we help him control his diabetes? He is in the fifth grade. My son has never met him before. We only found out when my wife and son gave a demo to the class on diabetes.

Answer:

Brittle is a word that is used less these days in diabetes jargon. Both of the boys have Type 1 diabetes, and it sounds as if the classmate of your son has had some difficulty controlling his blood sugars.

Although you and your son cannot help this boy control his diabetes, friendship and support can be offered. Perhaps the boys could develop an alliance: be buddies, and lessen the "differentness" and isolation some kids with diabetes feel.

Certainly you can invite this boy to your home and share how your family manages to live with diabetes. He may pick up some helpful guidance by simply hanging out with your son. I am not sure you know enough about his circumstances (it wasn't clear from your post) to assume that this child is lacking in information or appropriate care.

Bottom line: Offer to include him in your son's activities and be available, and see what develops!

CMB